The Casino (theatre)
Saturday, July 15, 1882
The Decorative Arts
Newspaper report
The Casino
Built: 1879-81 (James Gordon Bennett, Jr.)
Architect: McKim, Mead & White (New York)
Theatre architect: Stanford White
Club opened: July 26, 1880
Theatre opened: 1881
Seating: 500 (removable for dancing)
Theatre closed: 1980s
Restored: 2009 (see DBVW Architects for image)
Seating: 300
Reopened: 2010
Today: the Newport Casino is home to the International Tennis Hall of Fame. The building where Wilde lectured is reserved for special events but it is still used regularly as a theatre by Salve Regina University Department of Performing Arts.
"Oak Glen"
Original structure: c. 1850
Main house built: 1870 (Extant)
Ocean House*
Built: 1845-46 (Russell Warren, architect)
Opened: 1846 (John G. Weaver Sr., owner)
Destroyed (fire): September 9, 1898
Ocean House on the right along Bellevue Avenue.
The adjacent Newport Casino and Ocean House.
Memoir : Grandmother’s Blue Coach, unpublished manuscript of Henry Marion Hall (grandson of Julia Ward Howe)
Source: Newport Historical Society.